Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 AM
mar32428

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by JENNR8R
I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

Which one of the rental machine models would you ask for?
I have a 1260 (just like the 1230 but with an extra alphabet) That is the closest to yours, I think yours has more bells and whistles, but I am fairly sure that learning FMQ would be very similar. If in doubt, could you consult with the teacher?
I have the 1260 also and it is great for FMQ. I also have the 1130 (traded up) and it too was fine for FMQ. I find FMQ is more user comfy than learning the machine.