Thread: new to canning
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by donnaree59
Originally Posted by cjsparks
I recommend that you go to your county extension service. It should be in Reed City on West Upton Avenue. They should have publications that they can give you on canning. They might also know someone that might be willing to be a mentor. Don't forget that your tax dollars pays for the MSU Extension Service. It's just like libraries...we need to use these services. The extension services are not utilized near enough and are staff with great people.
I agree. They have a wealth of information, recipes, directions, cautions, everything for the asking! Here in Georgia, they will also check your pressure gauges each year to make sure they are registering correctly.
s

Above are the best suggestions on this thread. DO CHECK OUT THE EXTENSION OFFICE. I am a volunteer food preserver with the Ext. Office locally. I teach jam/jelly making, canning, drying, freezing classes for the Ext. Office. PRESSURE CAN ALL MEATS, SEA FOODS, FISH, GAME, BEANS, LOW ACID FOODS AND VEGGIES ALWAYS! We had a family almost die of botulism from eating canned asparagus done in a water bath canner so make sure you follow the BALL Canning book directions. Make sure your Ball canning book is up-to-date. This book can be purchased at any store carrying canning supplies...Walmart, Bi-Mart, Kmart, etc. It costs about $7.99. They put out a new book on occasion because veggy seeds are hybids to get bigger, better, faster growing, etc. produce. Tomatoes USED to be high acid but now they've been hybrid to the point where you must use extra acid in each jar and process the tomatoes longer than you use to have to do. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS WHEN CANNING and you will have wonderful, safe food for your family.