View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 AM
dglvr

Originally Posted by sewing grammie
This will be a great and rewarding experience for you and your family. As a former student coordinator for a Scandinavian exchange service I placed many students in our area for a school year. Almost all of the students and families had a great and rewarding experience.

Our family has hosted 2 Sweedish girls for a school year as wells as 2 Russians and one Costa Ricaian for 2 week periods. The Sweedish girls spoke excellent English as they take English startng in 3rd grade.

My best advice for you is keep your girl busy. Take her to as many places as you can and let her experience as much of America and our culutre. I live a small town of about 300 so we also had a 45 minute drive to a mall. As time went on doing things at school and with their friends was more imporant that shopping at the mall...especially since we were behind Eurpoe in fashion. (At least our local mall was.)

Good luck :)
Thanks sewing grammie. I sure plan on keeping her busy. Thats what I enjoy about this. When my Austrian girl came it was nice to go to all those places around here that are here but when they are so close you never go. I grew up around Mt. Rainier but hadn't been there in so long it was nice to visit again and take someone there that has never been. I didn't make it to Mt. St. Helens with her but plan to with Siri. She did go there at the end of her trip here with her mom though. Her mom came and spent 5 days here before leaving. Good to know they learn English at such a young age. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: