View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by csmomma2
Thanks for the info. I think I know what design I will use on the border but I'm not sure how to get it onto the quilt now that it is sandwiched. I usually mark the top before i baste the layers, so I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Thanks,
To transfer a design you already have on paper to a quilt top I highly recommend Transdoodle paper or Saral paper. Transdoodle you can find on line, Saral you can find at any craft supply store like Michaels, JoAnnes and the like in the decorative (tole) painting section. Buy the transfer paper and a stylus used for marking. I recommend retracing your design on tracing paper so you can see through it for placement. Place the design done on tracing paper where you want it then hold it in place and slip the saral or transdoodle underneath, chalky side down against your top, then follow the pattern line with your stylus. Once done you design will be transferred to your sandwiched quilt. I will often go over the design with a fons and porter mechanical pencil because the marks made by transdoodle rub off very easy. I will only mark a hoopful at a time. Saral may not rub off as easy. I haven't tried it myself but have heard good reviews. White is for marking on dark fabs, graphite for marking on light.