View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 04:13 PM
dglvr

Originally Posted by Feather3
I have a friend who is from Sweden. She lives near Stockholm. I met her on a message board years ago. She, along with her SO, came to vist us in 2003. She spoke good English, where he was more limited & required her to translate for him. They loved it here. They had visited Florida in the late 90's.

Knitting & crocheting are a big craft thing in Sweden. My friend doesn't sew, so no quilting. I taught her to make Dream Catchers while they were here.

Their country is small, about the size of Texas. Many do allot of water sports, trips on cruise ships, etc. They do 1-2 day cruises allot. When my friends came we had pre-chose things to see & do. Things they would never see at home, like take an Amish buggy ride, tour the Harley Davidson factory, etc. We toured as much of our state as we could in 9 days. We put 2600 miles on my car! We did do a down-day so they could get over the jet lag. Their flight here was a good 10 hours long.

Some foods they loved, while others they hated. I think her SO tried about every soda, juice, sports drink we have, LOL. He loved to try new things. Oh one thing to keep in mind.....we have words for things that are the same, but the thing is different. So before letting you student order food at a restaurant make sure she understands what it is she is ordering.

They mind the heat, so your student may require a fan or AC.

My friend brought us a book on the history of Sweden. They have a little red horse as part of their culture. You could maybe take that & use it in a quilt, placemats, ornament.

Info on the "Dala" horse:
http://www.svenskhyllningsfest.org/dala_horse.htm

http://itotd.com/articles/599/the-dalahaest/
Thanks Feather3. Some great info. I'd not heard of the Dala Horse before. Quite the article on it. I'll see if I can find a picture of it to print for quilt blocks. What a great idea. Her favorite animal (besides dogs) was Giraffes. I ordered 2 patterns of Giraffes so I could put 1 on her bedroom wall.
My last exchange student took my Bargello American Flag so of course I better make another for Siri. Or wait so she can make her own. I just hope she wants to learn how. She said she did.
I hope she doesn't mind the lack of water here. There are seas of wheat fields. :shock:
Maybe I should come visit you. I'd love to see Amish country.
I helped a guy on a Harley a few years ago and beings I rode motorcycles he lived by the Harley factory and sent me all kinds
of stuff from there. That would be fun too. Sounds like you gave them quite the site seeing trip. Something they will always treasure. 10 hour flight to you will be 13 here. :?
Well thanks for taking the time for all the info and I'm going to go play around in all these wonderful sites.
Thanks and thanks to everyone posting and taking the time out to help me. I think I'll be well equiped now. :thumbup: