Thread: Running stitch
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
mpeters1200

Thank you to Kathy, I think it was her, for making sure it was really Steve and not Tim.

I think it's cool that we have 2 guys on here...both with personality.

Steve, I took a quilting class 4 years ago (my first and only so far) on beginning quilting. It was a sampler that had 9 patch, half square triangles, hour glasses, and *#(*&!#($*& flying geese. I'm not sure which is worse the flying geese or those *#@(*&% hour glasses. I absolutely HATE triangles. I've tried the old fashioned way, I was originally taught with some short cuts, I've even had friends show me their neat tools for working with triangles. I have a very good friend who is currently making a 1000 pyramid with all the triangles being of different fabric. I tell her every chance I get that I think she was dropped on her head as an infant.

I LOVE to hand quilt, and was just given my first frame. I quilt for charity and we meet once a week. We always have a quilt in the frame so I've learned different things to. To answer your question from your first post...when there are bulky seams that are together in the same spot I will do one stitch at a time and use a backstitch if I have to. One of the most talented quilter's I have EVER met quilts very fast. All of her stitches are perfectly even and she makes them ONE AT A TIME!!! I "rock" my needle and am only comfy with 3 or 4 stitches at a time. I stitch in the ditch as often as I can. It hides the stitching on the front and will give it a cute look on the back.

I have yet to try any decorative quilting, so I'd love to hear your impressions on it. If you would like to see my latest venture (4 years but I'm still very much a beginner), http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3122.page I have some pics posted there. I'll quilt according to the pic in the magazine. Diagonally across all the little squares. I don't know what I'll do with the prissy cut part yet.

Again....great to see another guy on here. I hope I can get my boys interested in quilting.

Melissa