Thread: Triangles
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 AM
june6995

Peachrose, I had to laugh! All there is to learn will not be learned in a week or month. Making triangles will take practice, although I think the method I sent (copied) on 1/26 should serve you well since there are pictures of the steps to proceed. Print it out! Then start a file folder (paper) so yu can take it to your sewing machine or cutting table. For me that was a great help.

You think you have OCD! All of us better have OCD or we will never get the seams to line up. I got into quilting almost by accident and had a lot to learn. After sewing clothing I was not aware of seam allowance needs and accuracy.

I found a straw wreath, covered with fabric patches, at the flea market. I wanted the wreath for something else, so I took off the fabric. In discovering just how much there was, and the size of the pieces, I put them into a small mesh bag, washed/dried/ironed them and then decided to make quilt blocks. They also had to be measured and cut. I knew they would make something for a quilt.

I had been given a quilt book, so I searched for a pattern. After making 90 9" blocks I discovered I could not match up the seams. I put them in a bag and laid them aside. That was about 7 years ago. Now I am going to begin to rip and re-sew in order to get them to fit together. That was long enough for me to learn to make more accurate seams.

You are wise to ask questions. It can save some heartache when it comes to ripping things apart.

Patricej had a good idea. Do invest in a few rulers. The 6" square with the diagonal line comes in handy when squaring those triangle squares.

My confession. I want to duplicate an old quilt I own, but cannot seem to sew the diamonds and then insert triangle background pieces. I have made about a dozen sample blocks and they are awful! That project is on hold. After 7 years I am still learning. Do not give up. Once you have completed one good quilt, you will be bursting with pride. You will want to display it where everyone can see it.

Keep up the good work. You WILL succeed, OCD or not!! Just take your time. This is supposed to be fun...not hard work!! My Best to YOU.....june