View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Ethel A

I've never appliqued, really. I sorta have, but I used floss around the shapes (that's what the pattern called for) and now, I want to learn how to hand applique without seeing the stitches. I don't know if I'm making any sense.

Anyway, with fabric on sale at Joann's, I bought some green fabric for stem and leaves (two complimenting shades) and two shades of complimenting pink fabric (for flowers). I hope I don't fail at this miserably. And, if I do, at least I know I didn't pay "quilt shop" prices for the fabric. I think I can find some tutorials online, but if you know of any simple-to-follow tutorials and templates, I welcome your suggestions. The project that I would like to work on is a square to place over my coffee table. Perhaps something that is 36 x 36.

This is also my opportunity to learn how to hand-quilt. I $uck at this (excuse my language). I'm hoping to join the local quilt guild after we land in Florida this summer. I hope someone there can mentor me; or I can find a local quilt shop that will hold classes on this.

Anyway, I'm excited and scared at the same time. I welcome your suggestions and tips. For example, why is it important to cut your fabric at a 45-degree angle to the selvage? By doing this, can you really manipulate the fabric to move in a circle or curve?

Thanks again!