View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

most magazines try to offer patterns for beginners as well as more advanced- and beginners kind of need the basics--it helps them realize how different a block can look with just a color change- or different layout-
and you would be surprised at how many quilters are out there that see a quilt pattern---and will not make it unless they can make it EXACTLY like the one they saw---
happens alot-
i used to work for a shop owner- she was one of those people-
every store sample had to be the exact fabric- the exact everything as the one in the book---period---there was no (creative license) ever---
she would even expect the quilting to be exactly the same- and if you failed at that...well the sample stayed in the back room- not out in the shop-
as soon as the fabrics were no longer available- neither was the pattern- and the sample would disappear-
i thought this was so...strange- being someone who has always liked to pick my own fabrics- my own layouts---
if we visited benartex- and there was a new pattern for a new fabric line- we had to make that pattern- we were never allowed to use the fabric for something else---
(and she has been in business for something like 26 years!

i am always looking for new fresh designs- techniques-
maybe the part of me that is so...a.d.d. is due to my time working within her restrictions---now i seldom follow a pattern- seldom follow someone elses plan-
i always look to learn new techniques- but when is look at a piece of fabric i see (my quilt) not the same one in all of this month's magazines.