View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

wow- are you ever lucky! when i took my Huskavarna into the dealers shop for cleaning/servicing at the 1 year mark they kind of yelled at me (not loud-just kind of rude) and informed me that with the amount of sewing i do i should never wait so long- that i should be taking it in every 6 months! (it's been 3 years now since i took it back to them---did have a little problem about a year & a half ago- found someone else- closer- and nicer- he fixed the problem- and cleaned the machine- with no lectures- said it wasnt all that bad-
i try to keep the lint cleaned out of it myself-i bought the little vacuum attachments and i vacuum it all out after every large project- or just when i think it's been awhile.
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Originally Posted by irishrose
Modern machines need to be cleaned professionally once every year.
I disagree. First, a lot depends on the usage in a given year so a calendar period can't be used, a better measurement would be hours of usage.

That said, when I was bringing my machine (Huskvarna) in once a year my service man asked me "why? It honestly doesn't need it". He could have easily continued to let me bring it in once a year and billed me for it. I keep my machine very clean - bobbin area, needle shaft, feed dogs, and any other area I can reach is cleaned at least with every bobbin change. And Huskies don't require oiling (as I recently found out).

So I guess I would recommend finding a realiable service man. Bring the machine in now and ask him everything he had to do, and how often he recommends doing it in the future. If he thinks you waited too long, bring it back in two years and ask again everything he had to do - then take it from there.