View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Marcia

Originally Posted by Arizona Sunrises
I'll be the buzzkill for the group.

Is she taking any information from you for tax purposes? If not, I'd caution you about posting any of the shop's info online--because that means that she's not paying taxes on any of your labor. (You're also not paying any federal or state taxes on what you're getting in exchange for your services either.) Additionally, I'd wonder about her wholesale vs. retail costs of the fabric, and wonder how far below minimum wage I was actually being paid.

This also leads into workers compensation insurance questions. If you're not truly on payroll, it would be an interesting situation if your rotary cutter slipped while you were working and required stitches. What if you slipped and fell in the stockroom?

Would I do it? In a heartbeat.
You are not a killjoy. I thought about all of these things too! Notice I did not name the shop on the forum? It is just a small shop in a tiny town-but close enough to my house that I am willing to drive there once a week.

I am not working there because I need money and do not care about her wholesale cost of fabric or minimum wage. It is a friendly family run shop where I will enjoy myself one day a week and get to play with fabric. I am looking at this more as I am "volunteering" at the shop and she is thanking me with fabric. :-)

I guess I will have to be really careful at work and make sure I do not hurt myself. Stockroom? There isn't one--everything is on the floor.

Glad to know you would do it too!!! I think it is going to be a lot of fun.