View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 AM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by anita211
Tim,

My quilting friends and I here in MN, think a real quilt is one that is hand quilted. I am not speaking of art quilts. I have seen some of your work, Tim, and you make a whole lot of art stuff, even though you use some traditioanal patterns. I don't care how long it takes to machine quilt something. When it is done, it is not soft usually. It can't be with metallic thread or that yucky plastic fishing line-type stuff that is used.

I have a quilt on my bed that I bought on eBay because my old one was tearing and was close to totally worn out. It is lovely, and I am happy with it, except it isn't soft. The denseness of the stippling makes it hard. It doesn't drape nicely, to take a word from my former tailoring life. I believe that quilts should be soft. I have an antique hand quilted Amish quilt that is soft. Even after all these years, it is soft. And it drapes lovely over a railing. Hawaiian echo quilts are lovely and they are densely quilted, and they are still soft.

I am working on a machine sewn, tied comforter. I will put in some edge stitching on the borders. It is utilitarian and will be used on my bed that also houses a dog, cat and 200 lb. man. It isn't meant to be anything other that it is. It is a bed cover. I have seen it quilted in the ditch which is almost as utilitarian as you can get, but on a large quilt, it takes time. I am doing something 'down and dirty' to get it done.

Google Lovers Knot by Eleanor Burns to see the pattern. Or go to Amazon and do the same thing... you will find the pattern I am using. I have two rows around 42 half log cabin blocks to complete. Then a good ironing, and it will be put together and ironed again. I made the first one in a day or two, and that included cutting. This one will take a week. No biggie. I have the one that is there if I need warmth.

I am not going to discuss what my thoughts are any longer on what is or isn't a quilt. I was trying to help with wholecloths which are hand quilted.

I don't care what others think. I have been doing this for a long time, and feel that a real quilt is one that is machine sewn and is quilted by hand. Or, in the case of the Grandmother's Garden, the English paper piecing by hand is implemented.

I will continue with the craft as I see fit. I bet there are people here that knit, crochet, or cross stitch also. And I bet there are as many ways to do that as there is quilting. Get off my case. I call it an art regardless of the finished product.

Anita in Northfield
Anita,

We are all allowed our own opinions. I'll just let your words stand by themselves.

If you talked with anyone who has discussed quilting with me, you would know I don't do 'Art' quilts. They are very interesting but not what I am interested in doing. My quilts are used. They lie on someones bed, they are used in TV rooms to let persons or people snuggle under them while enjoying life together. None of my quilts hang on a wall.

So off I go to work on another one of my 'bed covers'. I sure hope the couple who gets this one for their newborn appreciates that I made the 'bed cover' for them and their baby boy and won't consider that if I did it by hand, that kid would have graduated college by the time he got it.

Please say 'Hi' to the others in your guild. I suspect I won't ever have the opportunity to ever talk with them.

tim in san jose