View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
JanTx

I'm working on a pattern called Jelly Donuts. It should make a quilt 58 X 76. You make 40 simple blocks - the pattern says that several times: repeat steps to make 40 blocks, repeat to make 40 main blocks, set aside 34 of the main blocks - cut the remaining 6 blocks in half.... 40 blocks is very clear. HOWEVER, the placement diagram and the picture of the completed quilt shows 7 columns of 5 blocks each. 35 blocks. Nowhere does it say that you will have extra blocks - as the Yellow Brick Road pattern does.

So... options... abandon the extras as orphans. add one column at the end (these are vertical rows so the quilt would be 64 X 76 when finished. Or add one block to the end of each column - using 4 of the 5 leftover blocks and making the quilt 58 X 82. (With this option the odd columns would have half blocks at the top and bottom for a total of 6 blocks and the even columns would have 6 full blocks.

I was going to put a pic of the pattern, but I'm afraid that's a copyright infringement. You'll see a pic of the blocks laid out on my "design bed" with the extra blocks making an 8th column. As shown even rows are 5 full blocks; odd rows are 4 full blocks with a half block at the bottom and a space for another half block at the top.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231823.jpe   attachment-231824.jpe