View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
margie77072

I have had it. I tried one more, no let's correct that, twice more to do piecing. I am working on a baby quilt made up of rectangles. It took only 6 FQ's and looks easy. Well, I put it together and some of my columns are off by 1/2". How'd that happen? I cut carefully. I checked and double checked my 1/4" seams. And still, I'm off. Okay 1/2" on a couple of seams no biggie. It was easy to fix, I think. I'll know for sure when I get the backing on it.

Then, I thought, let's try one of those quick to do blocks, pinwheels, to be exact. I decided to use the MSQC (or whatever) method of sewing completely around a set of squares and then cutting twice on the diagonal. Seems simply enough. I had some solids and some striped 5" squares and decided to use them. I knew the square was going to be a bit smaller and was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was that I'd end up with two different size HST's within each square. You know, if you cut diagonally you end up with 4 HST's. Simple, right. Hardly!

Thanks for letting me rant. I feel better. Back to my "simple" quilts. I think I'll stick to paper-piecing after this. Oh no! I'll eventually have to put those squares into a quilt....LOL