Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by cmw0829
I bought an embroidery machine a few months ago with the plan to combine embroidery and piecing on my quilt tops.

Then...I took an FMQ class. This is not something that I believe I will excel at. And I will not be satisfied with less than high-quality (not perfect) results.

I'm pretty certain that I've seem embroidery designs for quilt motifs that could be continuously embroidered along a border or embroidered within a square.

Has anyone done this in place of FMQ? What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
Cathy
I bought my embroidery machine for this very reason - a used Pfaff 2170. I have a jillion embroidery designs, because I joined John Deer's Club after taking one of his classes - he and Anita Goodesign have good quilting designs that I have used. Use Search above and look at my Dear Jane Christmas Quilt - all quilting was with John Deer designs. It was vey easy to line them up with the squares in the quilt. Larger areas might take a little more time, but as you become used to using your machine, it gets easier. A large quilt just takes more patience than a small one - LOL. I babysit my machine while it's quilting - don't want to pick out stitches!

The suggestion to put the machine and quilt on the floor would probably be a good idea with a big quilt. Most of mine are lap quilts, and they fit nicely on my work table.