View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
motomom

I need some advice from the more experienced quilters out there amongst you.

I have finished this top...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20563.page

and I will be hand quilting it. I had planned to use some cotton batting sold by the yard off a roll at my local Quilting Mecca. The only thing is, the store personnel can't tell me exactly what brand of batting it is. It does feel very sturdy, and I tried dunking a piece of it in some water and trying to tear it out of shape, and I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried.

I would be open to suggestions on other types of batting to use if I have to. Problem is, this quilt is so very busy that I think it needs a very simple quilting design, perhaps 45 degree angle straight lines, maybe both ways making diamonds?

Would it be ok for me to only put these lines, say, 4 inches apart? That would leave a 4" square unquilted between the lines. Is that too far to leave unquilted? Perhaps with the different batting? How about 2 inches apart, would that be close enough together to prevent bunching later?

I've put way too much work into it already to make a mistake and not put enough quilting lines on it. :roll: