View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM
crrdownshift

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
Originally Posted by crrdownshift
When my father died I took his ties. Opened them (it took forever), washed and ironed them (carefully), and backed the widest parts with light-weight stabelizer. I chose six pictures of his [adult] life, transferred them to material, and made individual blocks of uniform size. With the pictures more-or-less in the center, I took a deep breath and started to cut the ties, making six crazy-quilt blocks, embroidered seams and used cording to "frame" the pictures of my Dad. Then I framed each block, arranging them 3 and 3. My own memorial tribute to a very special man.
Wonderful idea and special memories. The dresden plate is fantastic. When my FIL passed, I wanted to make one for my SIL, but when we got them out of the closet (and they had been there a long, long, long.......long time) :roll:, they were the ugliest things you've ever seen or care to see. They can keep their memories, but that quilt is not on my list of stuff to do - EVER :shock:
Sorry the ties you had were so bad. Just can't use fabric that doesn't please us one way or the other. Perhaps fabric with special prints or colors would do as well for you and your SIL. My quilting partner made her "memory quilt" for all the new grandchildren, using pastel fabrics of all colors in a Crazy Quilt design cut around birth announcements and baby's first picture.
Good luck. Connie