View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
tellabella

We make home made sauce every August...beside the "regular" sauce that we make, and the peeled tomoatoes....we make a sauce we call "prepared" sauce...because we cook it almost to completion and then jar it..but no reason why you can't make it in small batches...when I make pasta e fagioli...I just use a small jar of this sauce to start..if making from scratch...
use a can of plum tomatoes...cook them down in olive oil and garlic ...simmer until tomatoes are soft ..I sometimes use a masher to help them along...add spices...whatever you like..salt, pepper, can add onion...parsley...
When it is almost ready add beans...whatever you like...
Boil your pasta, drain partially) and add sauce...I put my drainer in a bowl because this pasta really absorbs the water, especially if sitting a bit..so I alsways keep some pasta water to add If I want it a little soupier...I made it last night and for a variation instead of shells, take some spaghettini, or capelli d'angelo (the very thin spaghetti), break in into 2 or 3 inch pieces into a dish and cook...it is really delicious..my mother used to make it like this..really good and my dog loves it too...lol