Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!
I sold my Janome after I found a 401g in the trash... I liked how it felt even though it didn't sew... So I bought a Singer 500 - then I found a 403 at GW - now that is the BOMB (sold the 500) It is simpler and easier to work on and has more adjustment for the stitch widths. My DD hasn't reconciled - she still is using a stupid Viking she took with her when she moved out. DIL uses a Singer 503 I fixed up for $5. Her mother can't figure out how I got her to sew in 1 day after she begged the kid to learn for years. :mrgreen:
I got my sister hooked on the 403 and she got a 404 for her GD - that kid can SEW! I got a 404 for my GD but her mommy can't figure it out so it sets. (that GD doesn't relate to me so much as the others) One day DD the electronics will go out again on the Viking - she will try out the 404...