View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
DogHouseMom

First ... how to get around Chicago. There is a center mark which is State Street (running North/South) and Madison (running East West) and this center is the 0 point. Each block north is 100 N, 200 N, etc and the same with South, and West directions (very few addresses are E of 0 unless your swimming). Each "block" is roughly 1/8 of a mile. Chicagoan's tend to say that something is 2800 N - meaning that it is 28 blocks N of Madison (28 x .125 = roughly 3.5 miles north of center). So we always know aproximately where something is by the address - the street name gives us one benchmark and the address gives us the other - with both we now have a good idea how far north, south, or west of center something is.

So if you have an address of 1221 W Diversey Parkway - the location is on Diversey Parkway and 12 blocks west of Center. Diversey Parkway is 2800 N of center. So this particular shop is 12 blocks W and 28 blocks N of "center". Get it?

I found Quiltology at 1221 W Diversey Parkway 773-549-6628. Never been there but one of the very few quilt shops in the city.

Not far from there is The Needle Shop at 2054 W Charleston in the Bucktown neighborhood 773-489-4230. Haven't been here either. These are pretty much the only two I found IN the city.

Other must see things in Chicago ... Millennium Park!! The spitting fountains are a gas and you wade right in and enjoy it. The Bean and the bandstand are awesome - and check the schedule for free concerts. Navy Pier is just OK - not my cup of tea, but you can pick up some neat boat rides from there and ride the ferris wheel for a nice view of the city. Sears Tower (now renamed to Willis but Chicagoan's still call it the Sears) is a must see if you have a clear day (or night). Magnificent Mile for shopping as well as State Street (Marshall Fields - now called Macy's but it's another Chicago thing - we still call it Fields!!). Art Institute is one of my favorites and the Shedd Aquarium is nice as well.

Must have eats ...

a real Chicago Hot Dog. Get one from a brick and mortar place in the central loop - not one of the places in a touristy area (like Navy Pier).

Pizza of course ... Uno's is good but my favorite is Lou Malnati's for a deep dish. Yummm.

An Italian Beef sandwich, Al's Beef is the best. The original place is a bit out of the city near the UofC, but they have another joint on 169 W Ontario St (north loop). Get it "wet" and with "sweet and hot".

Hope all of this helps.

Gosh .. writing this I'm now homesick for Chicago. I need another visit before the summer ends.