Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM
charity-crafter

I've started not to mention why I'm making my quilts (and in the past rag dolls) because people will say, "Oh, I'll take it."

When I try to explain that I'm making it for children who are sick I've gotten "Oh, my daughter is sick, I'll take one for her." Her daughter had the sniffles, not even a full blown cold. She was offended when I told her that my qults go to children battling cancer and that a cold wasn't the same.

I've also had people get angry with me when I wouldn't just give them a quilt since I make so many to give away or I wouldn't make a quilt for them for free because I have so much fabric given to me. When I mention how much I'd charge them they go through the roof, "It didn't cost you anything, why would you charge me?" Because I have to go and replace what I used to make you a quilt.

I find it absolutely amazing that so many people don't understand that when fabric is given to me because I make quilts for charity, I personally feel an obilgation to use that fabric to make quilts for charity. At least that is how I treat all donations to me.

I keep my personal stash separate from my charity stash.

Have you had any strange comments?