Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

wow!
you sure handle it well i believe-
i have had a couple rude people expect a freeby-
and yes- they are shocked when i tell them what it would cost---and that i have to have cash---first
i make charity quilts too- i had one person say something once about my giving them away- but would charge a family member...
i have made all of my siblings, their spouses and their children (free quilts) out of the goodness of my heart- they call up expecting another one- to give to a friend or something- they become (irritated-sometimes rude)hate it when i say- hey come on up- i'll show you how to make your own---for your friend- i'm not giving them away to your friends...

now when one of them approach me about another quilt- i just tell them- sorry- you can not afford my quilts-
tired of their---expectations
i got so tired of it i started telling people when they inquired- "how much would you charge me for a queen size quilt?"
my response-
a queen starts at $500 and goes up from there- what did you have in mind?"
usually shuts them up.
i would rather give them away to deserving recipients than sell one to some rude person who has no concept of what they are expecting- or desire to find out.
luckily i've been at it long enough i have a pretty good customer base- and my family knows me---
they approach me with realistic requests now.
stick to your guns- after awhile it will stop