Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by butterflywing
imho, i agree with sandpat. that's a great method. it keeps the back nice and clean.

when you do the echo quilting i think it would look nicer in plain stitching than zigzag. the zigzag would detract from the pretty fabrics and beautiful shapes on the blocks. i would keep everything else simple. the only exception might be colored thread.

keep on posting this. it's coming along just wonderfully! i can't wait to see it finished (and on my bed).

butterflywing:
I agree with you both. I have decided to do the around the pieces of the hearts first and then sandwich the quilt and do a plain echo stitch around each large heart. I am following the advice one of the gals gave me and experimenting on a sample piece to see what type of quilting to do.
I am trying hand quilting using blanket and chain stitch with regular quilting thread and then trying embrodiery thread of different thicknesses. I am also going to see how the zig-zag machine stitches look around a piece. I think the zig-zag is going to win out.
Thanks so much for your input. Like I told Pat I really value your opinion. You all do such beautiful work and inspire me everytime I come on the forum.