Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Well, it sounds to me like she is on the road to really appreciating a vintage machine! The more problems she has with her modern Janome, the more she will marvel at the dependability of these old gals. I find it hard to go back to my modern machines after using the vintage ones. Yes, it is great to have a machine for each job - sure makes our sewing tasks easier - that is the way I do it - they all have their speciality!

Nancy
OMG! She just showed me a blog of some gal in New York that designs and sews some awesome bags using a vintage Singer 29k58( I think its a 29k58... looks like one... I don't know the correct #, it's a 29k?). She asked me if I know or seen anything like that Singer. I told her yeah and that I saw one and played with one at the June Gold Coast Mini TOGA. Way cool of a machine that is HEAVY and BIG! She looked disappointed at the heavy and big. I looked at her and said,"NO WAY, You are interested in a Singer 29k58?". Her look was yeah mom. HELP ME!