Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 AM
May in Jersey

I'm co coordinator for my guild's project pillowcases and have had people ask me to give them one or two of the pillowcases. I refuse saying that they have been made with donated fabrics and are for charity distribution only. Some have countered that I've given pillowcases to so and so, etc. but I have to inform them they were made with fabrics I purchased myself. If they want a pillowcase I'd make them one but first they have to buy a yard of one fabric and a half of a yard of another, and if they want a contrasting strip a quarter yard of a 3rd fabric. Oh, I also mention the LQS they should go to that sells fabric at $10 per yd, that ends their request.

Just finished a queen quilt for DIL, she paid for materials (a kit, backing and batting) and I sewed it. Never again as I spent too much time worrying about this one. The pattern was difficult but I thought I was doing great until I put the blocks together and nothing seemed to line up to make the secondary pattern. Ordered fabrics to replace what I had used and began again making the block pattern a little simpler. Backing she chose wasn't a wide one so I pieced strips, measuring the width and length several times before cutting. Of course, it wasn't long enough, had to add another strip across the width. One thing after another, machine started sewing badly, thread kept breaking, needle broke, it was just too much so for me No More Quilts by Order. I'll continue to make quilts for family and friends and all new family babies but I'll be doing the choosing of patterns and fabrics, just ask what size or dominate color they would like. May in Jersey

PS: quilt is now at longarmer and will finally be finished and given soon.