View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Sewfine

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Two friends and I had a small crafting business back in the 80's, little half aprons with pockets filled with clothespin dolls (our biggest seller), boys tool work aprons, stuffed calico cats, gingham dogs and a few other things. Went to craft shows, consignment shops etc. and we each made a few dollars mostly because we already had sewing machines and received lots of donated fabrics. Biggest sales were when our DH's took the items to work. Other gals were stay at home moms and I worked but I couldn't bring sale stuff there.

We stopped for a few reasons, one gal's sewing and interest level wasn't very good, buying fabrics, thread was eating into our meager profits, and I was tired of being sales and delivery person as well as keeping the books. When setting prices people never estimate fully the time and effort they put into making their items as well as the cost of maintening their equipment.
When I first did this back in the early part of 2000, it flopped also. Alfter completing my bachelor's degree in 2010, I started again and doing pretty good. I think it all depends on what area you live in and the demand. I don't look at it as a job; I look at it as getting paid to do what I love too do. I get a kick out of putting a special touch on a project. Like the tissue cover holder; I add vinyl so you could put pictures in it. The pattern does not include this, just a added touch. There is a book by Barbara Wright Sykes entitled, "The Business of Sewing..How to Start, achieve and Maintain Success - Vol 1" it is a good book. She also have several others that I have.

Added vinyl to the tissue cover for pictures
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232756.jpe