View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
quiltmouse

In the past I have covered boxes with fabric. They end up very pretty. I have not covered plastic bins, but I think it would be do-able.

I'm sort of with the others who posted about seeing contents.

What about a dummy quilt. It is would be the measurements of the stack, wrapping around the top, front & sides of the stack. You'd want to box the top edge. I'd put fabric on the back 12" or so to stablize the "box" bit of the dummy quilt. On the back, a ribbon tie or elastic halfway down and about a foot up from the bottom would keep it in place. If you use ribbons, tie on one side or the other, not the middle of the back.

Back it with a sheet, or not at all. use 3/8-1/2" seams, press seams to one side & do 3/16-1/4" "quilting" inside all the pieces.

With this, you remove the quilt, and voila! there everything is.

It would be a bit of work, but probably comparable to the amount of time you would spend wrapping the bins.

If you decide to cover the individual bins. Get some iron-on printer fabric. Make labels & sew them on. Buttons, elastic, beltings, patterns, etc. If the contents will be changing due to fabric useage make alphabet letters, or numbers for the bins & sew them on as patches. get a pretty notebook. Number or alpha different pages. You can get tabs, or use postit notes. On the pages, list contents of each numbered or lettered bin. Leave yourself enough room to cross items out, and write new items.

:) Well, you asked for :idea: :mrgreen: