Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by Charlee
I was thinking of a darker, smellier place...

Went to St. Vincent DePaul "Thrift" store today. They had a Bronze colored New Home, with attachments, book, and cabinet.... $235.00. Also had a Singer 15-90, in really poor shape, few attachments, also $235.00!! When the lady asked if I wanted either of them, I flat out told her, I could buy either one on ebay cheaper, including shipping! Sheese....
I think the people who price the machines at some thrift stores are of the mindset; if its old and black, its worth lots and lots of money, no matter what condition its in. :roll:

I was at an antique store several years ago and saw lots of rusted machine heads there; all were priced at $100 or more. I asked why so much for a rusted thing and the response was: "Its an antique and someone wants it for decoration." I was just shocked. I mentioned that someone else might want a working version of what she had. She couldn't understand that we like to use old machines for sewing. She also had several machine cabinets painted black and the tops screwed down so they couldn't be opened.
:thumbdown: :roll: