Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I think the people who price the machines at some thrift stores are of the mindset; if its old and black, its worth lots and lots of money, no matter what condition its in. :roll:

I was at an antique store several years ago and saw lots of rusted machine heads there; all were priced at $100 or more. I asked why so much for a rusted thing and the response was: "Its an antique and someone wants it for decoration." I was just shocked. I mentioned that someone else might want a working version of what she had. She couldn't understand that we like to use old machines for sewing. She also had several machine cabinets painted black and the tops screwed down so they couldn't be opened.
:thumbdown: :roll:
Wow... yeah. There are two thrift/antique stores near me with multiple machines. A Rocketeer in a table, with attachments for $250; a Spartan in a plastic case for $99, a 201 in a 50's painted table, some rust, no attachments for $200, and an early 99 singer (one of the first 99's, treadle balance wheel with the 'foot print' electric controller) in grass cloth rectangular case for $59.

Then there was a animal rescue league thrift store that had the Singer STRAIGHT leg treadle cabinet, with a 15-88 treadle machine in it. I SO wanted to get it, but already have two treadle cabs AND an industrial table sewing machine (Sailrite SR200 longarm). I have no more room! lol
Is it a thrift store or a museum???