Thread: Feeling fed up
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM
gaigai
Banned

Ellie,

I found that it helps stabilize your ruler to put some little dots of sandpaper on them. They are sold in most sewing shops. There is also a clear film that does the same thing, but I've never used it. I'm left handed, but I've learned that sometimes it's easier for me to hold the cutter in my right hand. Experiment with holding the cutter at different angles. I find that holding it with the handle up at about a 60-75 degree angle works best for me, so I'm actually pushing DOWN as well as forward, but that is a personal preference. Like the others said, practice on paper. And be patient with yourself. If you get frustrated, put the cutter down and take a break. Remember, there is a learning curve for EVERYTHING. You'll get it! And if there aren't any local quilt shops, if there are any kind of sewing or fabric shops around, they may be able to help you.

Or I suppose you could convince your DH that you ABSOLUTELY HAD TO take a little two or three day excursion to the nearest big city that has a quilt shop. I'm sure you could convince him that the price of a night or two in a hotel room was worth it! :mrgreen: