View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
vickig626

Originally Posted by HollyInfinite
Oh yeah, you may want to look into Artfire, I believe they are free.

I've never used them before but I know a lot of people are moving their shops from etsy to artfire.
No longer free. They are dumping their Basic accounts in August. You have to sign up for a Pro account, currently at $9.95 a month.

I had an artfire account selling (or should I say NOT selling) various quilted items so I dumped it and am currently with Etsy. Still not selling but I've been told you need to list at least every other day to keep your site close to the front of the line which people search, which I'm not good at doing so I'm sure some of my problem is that. I've also been told I need to have a lot more listed (not sure why). I would think if I see what I want, I don't care if they have a few items there. I do get frustrated /overwhelmed with sites that have tons of pages. I only look at the first few pages if there's no sort / search features.

I seem to be better locally and by word-of-mouth and return / referred customers.

Craft shows? Done that too. For me, just not worth my time and effort to sit at a table for several hours just to have people walk by, say nice things, and keep on walking. It's already been said here -- anything over about $15 won't sell. I'm in MI so craft shows are horrible right now.

One thought which might be pricey to enter -- art fairs. These have the tendency to attract people who can appreciate nice things and understand how much work goes into making them. Quilts might do well if you find the right one.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.