Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by Cordelia
Whew! I made this a year ago. I took a class for it.

But it was a pain in the duff! It's woven strips of fabric with serged edges. I used three (3) spools of serger thread. I don't know how to spell serge. Surge?

I will say the effect is beautiful under candle light and twinkling Christmas lights, but not an item I can sell at a craft fair.

It's tacky to talk about money, but honey, it was $40 for the class, 3 half yards for the woven strips, 2.5 yards for the border and backing and $12.99 per spool of serger thread. The backing is the same border fabric.

Do the math!

The official $140 table runner.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to laugh because that's INSANE. What was I thinking? I can see me now at some craft fair and having some one wanting to buy it for, oh, $25! Yeah, that's what they like to pay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anybody else have "money pit" projects?

Here it is anyway.
I think your tablerunner is gorgeous and when you consider that it could grace your table every Christmas season for your lifetime and that of your heirs because it would become an heirloom, the cost per year then becomes a bit more reasonable.

We've all had "money pit" projects at one time or another...one of mine was a quilt "quillow" that I made for a grand to use on the school cheerleading bus trips......school colors, school mascot appliqued on it, spent $85 having it quilted, all my time and cost of materials and it went to ONE GAME. Got "forgotten" on the bleacher and was never seen again! Even with the quilt label, our grands name, the school colors and mascot you'd a thought whoever found it COULD have done the right thing and somehow gotten the quilt back to the owner but it didn't happen.

The BIGGEST and most expensive money pit I ever had was a "fixer upper" house I bought back in the 70's! Now that was a MAJOR money pit!