View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Years ago we used to raise rabbits for meat. I could handle everything but the actual butchering. Hubby would do all that and then bring them inside and I wouldn't know who was who. I could then do my part. And they fried up just fine :roll: :roll:

I was also raised around and on farms. Imagine my horror though when, after moving to the "city" and I was a TEENAGER, my mom bought a bunch of chickens. She calmly tied them upside down to the clothesline and cut their heads off. I then had to take the things off and dunk them in hot water to defeather....thought I was just going to die from mortification when all the neighborhood kids lined up along the fence to watch.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have thought of rabbits - they breed like, well rabbits and are ready to kill in 8 weeks. Easier to butcher than chickens too BUT not sure I'm ready for an animal that I used to keep as a pet! Hypocrisy maybe? I'm still frenchifying myself - I'll get there! They say the French look at an animal and their first thought is 'how would I cook that?' :D