View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
KyKat

Has anyone ever done a whole cloth quilt, by hand, with a twist. Let me see if I can explain. . . I have done a Q size white with white thread that I drew the pattern onto myself (my avitar), a K size natural color with natural thread (pre-printed), and they are both beautiful, classic whole cloths and I love them. I have another pre-printed natural K size top that I want to do, but I kind of don't want to do it the same way, I mean, why? I was thinking maybe change it up a little, and I had some different ideas:
1. A different color backing - navy blue, black, red - and still quilt it with natural thread, that way one side would be classic, and the other side would pop;

2. A different color backing as in 1, but quilt it with the color of thread of the backing, that way the natural side would be different;

3. A different color backing as in 1, or a pastel, with different color thread: the flowers in pink, yellow, red; the leaves in green; the cross-hatching in natural; the "frame" in black; etc.;

4. A different color backing as in 1, but if the backing is black, quilt all over in red thread; or if the backing is red, quilt in black thread, etc.

keep in mind that it will be hand-quilted, so both sides of the thread will be the same (unlike machine quilting where the top thread can be one color and the bobbin thread can be another color) and the stitching will be broken, hand-stitches.

Has anyone ever done anything like this, and if so, can you post pictures? I know I will get some great suggestions. Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this for a wonderful sister that I love very much, and want it to be special.