Thread: Sad Tale of Woe
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

not all batts are created equal-
and not all sprays work on every fiber-
don't dismiss the batt as - c-r-a-p just because the adhesive you are using is not doing it's job-
i've used bamboo batting a couple times and love it-
on the other hand- i pretty much hate most of the adhesives i've tried.
505 is pretty good= most people seem to have pretty good luck with it.

when i was having problems with my batting not even getting sticky i had better luck spraying the fabric- then smoothing it over the batting- then turning that over and doing the same to the other side.
when pinning i pin every 3-4" in a grid- takes hundreds of pins...for a large quilt. i've only done this once--i hate pinning.
it sounds as if you've about tried everything-
and i know you stated it was a brand new can of adhesive...but like everything else- that does not mean it's not (old) adhesive.
i am always recommending to people when you try new batts cut off a swatch (i put together a batt journal with 6" swatches. i keep notes about the batt itself- i also will take a small part of that and try fusables= or adhesives if i want to use them to see how it goes...can really save time and aggrivation in the long run.
sorry you are having such a time-
wish i had some answeres for you= but other than not all materials work together- every time...
you will probably have to either switch batts- or switch adhesives- or skip the adhesive and pin-pin-pin
of course the alternative to hundreds of pins is to stitch baste...that's my method...i really hate using pins-they are a pain...basting for me goes much much faster and i get much better results.
good luck i hope you find a way to get it together without much more hastle