Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 AM
charity-crafter

Originally Posted by Rose_P
How would they like it if they donated something to charity and the volunteers pilfered it for their own use or to give to their friends?
I had that happen. A church I was just starting to attend was having a silent auction to support children in need so I contributed 2 of my big dolls in a basket with several changes of clothes because I had a lot of holiday fabrics, there were outfits for halloween, easter, christmas, thanksgiving and st. patricks day. Plus some matching crocheted scrarves, purses, hats etc.

I went to the auction and didn't see my basket. Later I asked someone and they said, "oh, xxx decided it would be a great present for her granddaughter so she donated $5 and kept it herself."

What! I was absolutely furious. I wrote a letter to the pastor and the leadership committtee and let them know what had happened, explaining that I made these dolls to give to children batttling life threatening deseases and sold them for $30 each without anything extra (hey, I have to support my habit, stuffing doesn't grow on trees.) It would have been different if she had bid $5 and won.

Needless to say, that did not become my new home church.