Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
quiltdoctor

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
Wow Texas Jan, I am always surprised to see what shows up when these old machines start to shed the gunk! She is going to be very purrrrty!

Nancy
This one has been the most stubborn one about shedding her gunk. She will never be a beauty, but at least she IS gonna be CLEAN .

Texas Jan
Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept scrolling up and down to look at the differences and WOWZA!! Did you use a kerosene soak to do that amount of cleaning??? I have a brown lotus model 66 that looks as if someone put a blackish-goopy stain over the whole thing. I was able to get the goop off of the little serial number plate (it was so-o-o thick that I could not even see even the slightest indent of the numbers) so that I could date the machine but I would love to get the goop off of the rest of the machine.
Kathy--I love that Lotus of yours. That is one Singer decal I am still looking for. That is the same machine. I did the kerosene cleaning first, but being over 100 degrees here, I am afraid I rushed through it and will have to do it again to get the mechanics clean when it gets cooler. I VERY carefully used Billy's "Goop" (from Walmart) and cotton balls (no paper towels to scratch the decals) and cleaned the first layer off, and that took awhile. That didn't get them as clean as I wanted. Glenn suggested using Dawn dishwashing liquid (a little bit on a damp piece of soft cotton rag to make a foam by rubbing the rag) and see if that would clean the decals better. That seemed to remove it on this machine better. I was very careful to look at the decal after every few seconds to make sure the decals weren't turning silver. When you loose that protective shellac that is over the paint and decals, then the cleaning can take of the color really quick.
I think machines like yours and mine are there to teach me patience, and lots of it. Glenn also suggested when I put the machine in the kerosene to cover the decals with Vaseline to protect them. I think I will let mine sit in the kerosene for a day before I clean it again, maybe a 5 gallon container and submerge it. I haven't decided.
No guarantees on any of this, I'm still new and learning, so if anyone knows a better way, please speak up.

Texas Jan