View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by mkanderson
Here is a picture of the Sweet Autumn Clematis. It blooms later and smells really good!
mary -

i love the sweet autumn. we just put in 2 dr. rupppel (?) clematis on a trellis. i would love to replace one with the sweet autumn. do they need the mild winters that you get? full sunshine? here in new jersey we get hard winters and the trellis i have in mind is in half sun. the dr. ruppel will take half sun.
BW - I have looked in my Book and I don't think this is C.armandii after all because that has 6 petals and is actually spring flowering :oops:. Sweet Autumn looks more like a C.viticella cultivar, which is late flowering and fully hardy to frost hardy though not evergreen. My excuse is that I was thrown by the fact Mary's plant is scented - must be a cultivar I don't know because I've never seen (or smelt!) a scented viticella! It flowers on the current years growth so should be pruned in early spring, back hard to a good pair of buds. This stops them becoming a tangled mess, keeps them vigorous and flowering well. All clematis like their feet in the shade and their head in the sun so the spot you have sounds perfect. When you plant one, put it a few inches deeper than it was in it's pot so if it gets 'clematis wilt' it will regrow from the stem underground:D

K x

PS - sorry didn't know about inter state restrictions on sending plants; :oops: