View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Lizzygail

When I was doing my room, I looked at a number of resources for ideal cutting/ironing heights. The actual measurements somewhat depend on how tall/short you but in general kitchen countertops and islands are built for 'cutting/chopping' etc. The average is 36". If you have the option of making adjustments, the rule of thumb is to measure the distance from your elbow to the ground and then have the cutting surface about 6" lower. Mine is 33 tall and works for me as I cut a lot of upholstery fabric or yardage length cuts and it allows me to bend to reach across the length of my cut. I was lucky to find two triple dressers that were the same height as I wanted and have a 4x6 finished plywood top that cover them both. This not only gives me a large cutting surface but a lot of useful storage.
It is recommended that ironing surfaces should be about 3" higher than for cutting and I fortunately found another triple dresser that was 3" taller than the other two so perfect for me.
Again, with the 'big board' on top, it gives me a nice ironing surface and a lot more storage!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233737.jpe   attachment-233738.jpe