View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by catrancher
It seems to me you would need to adjust your goal. If your goal is to finish your current project, then you might have difficulty interrupting the flow. If, on the other hand, your goal is to work on different multiple projects, and to enjoy them more, then your goal changes. You have more freedom. It really is about freedom from being enslaved by old

I enjoy the process more. Enjoyment is my goal, not completion.
I think this IS the Answer. Why are you quilting? Is it because you actually enjoy sewing and handling the fabric? If so (ha ha), then multiple projects is not a stresser--it is joy, because multiple projects means many different experiences, chances to touch and handle fabrics, designs, etc. I'm like this. The by-product of my enjoyment of sewing is a finished product. In the meantime, I get great relief/relaxation, and plain old stress-busting out of creating something at the sewing machine or just playing with my fabric. I am PROCESS oriented.

If however, the end goal of your quilting is to produce a finished product...then one at a time is pretty much all you can handle. Your reason for sewing is different. You are PROJECT oriented.

A long time ago I read an article about this about a boy who was making a model train set. His family/friends couldn't understand why he wasn't more compelled to finish it...however, he just enjoyed making it. He wrote in the article, that truth was, he didn't care if he ever finished it--he just loved making it--to him it was pure delight. I'm not that bad--but I definitely enjoy the sewing aspect. The finished product is a byproduct of my enjoyment.