Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Charlee
W&W machines are awesome machines. You don't say what models you're looking at...the D-9 has steel presser feet, the earlier models have the glass inserts. The presser feet and attachments can be hard to find, but they do show up on ebay...
These machines commonly have a lot of wear to the decals, and rarely do you find one in perfect shape. You're going to look for all the things that you would normally look for in a vintage machine....condition, movement, etc. The cabinets are an asthetic issue, and totally up to you. (Would depend on the machine model for me) I think the D9 (seems to be the most commonly found) is about the only machine I'd be picky about decals on...
Keep in mind that the needles for ALL of the W&W machines are obsolete...but they are starting to come out with replacement needles again...I've seen them on ebay....
What kind of prices are we talking about?
Her price is $20 and she doesn't know anything more than the name. She also has a White roptary for $20. May come home with 2 instead of one. These were either grands or great grandmothers machines. She has a whole lot os attachments and bits and pieces but doesn't know what goes to what. What would the decals look like? Are you talking name declas or something ornate like the early Singers?

Chris, there are photos of my W&W 8 on page 4 of the vintage machines photo thread. ALL of the decals on the W&W machines are delicate. For $20 you can't really go wrong...I'd buy both of them...the attachments are easy to tell the difference and to sort out.

Make sure you get the names of the ladies that have owned them if you can, makes the machine a lot more interesting in my eyes... :)