View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Campbell34

When I was first marrid in 1950 I had a neighbor, that worked summers in the canning factory in Manteca , Calif. but during the cold wet winter months she quilted the same as above, she used scissors and the back of old writing tablets for the templates, The frame hung on pulleys from the ceiling , she quilted every day, Sold her quilts ,large double bed size for $10.00 apiece, I have been fortunate to get some templates made from tablets several years ago from my sister as well as some original 30's material, I have made up the Grandmothers fan( won first place at Mohave Co Fair) and maple leaf, I still have dresden plate and castle wall to make as well as a pillow case full of scraps, My sister made a double wedding quilt, And the magic find was today .I went looking at our local thrift srore , I need a few pieces of mens shirting to replace some diamonds in a 1910 lone star quilt, I found a 9 patch that was to be thrown out , it had lumpy cotton batting and was tied , I may try to save it by taking it apart and rebatting it and then quilting it , so still need a few cotton mens shirting pieces to go on my lone star top, . I paid $25.00 for it at our local quilters guild, no one else bid on it :lol: