View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
kd124

ROFL!!! These are great--I really laughed at the famous quilter's entry. Not at the quilt but that he--JF--would enter one. Now that shows the spirit of those that enter! We can laugh with not at those that enter.

My ugly is all polyester ('70's pants fab I bought to make Mom pants). A couple of years ago I made The Beast, all squares, no batting, poly on both side, and heavy. My purpose is strictly as a camp quilt. Air mattresses get cold in the night air and my ugly quilt solves the "I'm freezing" problem.

I love the bread wrapper batting. This reminds me of a quilt made for a raffle by the Ladies Club (in community I grew up in). They worked hard making a double bed size quilt entirely of triangles. I can't remember the size (it was many, many years ago), but I would guess between 4-6 inches. Get ready, here comes the good part. Each triangle was stuffed with --and not loosely--not using polyfill---but nylon stockings!! Are you laughing yet? That baby was so heavy one person could hardly lift it!!!! Of course the winner, who wasn't in the ladies club, didn't know the weight of the thing until he/she received it. I can just imagine getting under that thing and not being able to move!! LOL At least it would keep you warm in those cold winter nights in the north!! BTW--can you imagine how long those ladies saved their stockings? Perhaps they got some from relatives.