Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I am looking at a Singer 328 that can be used as a treadle or electric machine. Does anyone have any comments about this machine? I really want to know if the feed dogs drop on this machine and if one could do FMQ on it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you want to do free-motion quilting with this machine when you can find a Singer 15-90/91 that is known to do a better job and with greater ease of FMQ?

Don't mean to scare you off of what you wish to do.

I have a Singer 328K in treadle. Some folks questioned why I wanted to do it. First, I wanted to see it done, the set up.
Second, for decorative stitching. I finish off my bindings with decorative stitching and I wanted to do this with a vintage machine in treadle.

I don't think the feed dogs drop with this machine. I never studied the machine to see if it could be done since that wasn't my interest or goal. I think you have to cover the feed dogs with a special plate- but then I could be wrong with this.

I own Singer 15-90 and Singer 201, both in treadles, that I have FMQ with both, and I will only FMQ with my Singer 15.

If your goal is to FMQ, go find a Singer 15-90 to use-plenty of them around to rescue.