Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Why would you want to do free-motion quilting with this machine when you can find a Singer 15-90/91 that is known to do a better job and with greater ease of FMQ?

Don't mean to scare you off of what you wish to do.

I have a Singer 328K in treadle. Some folks questioned why I wanted to do it. First, I wanted to see it done, the set up.
Second, for decorative stitching. I finish off my bindings with decorative stitching and I wanted to do this with a vintage machine in treadle.

I don't think the feed dogs drop with this machine. I never studied the machine to see if it could be done since that wasn't my interest or goal. I think you have to cover the feed dogs with a special plate- but then I could be wrong with this.

I own Singer 15-90 and Singer 201, both in treadles, that I have FMQ with both, and I will only FMQ with my Singer 15.

If your goal is to FMQ, go find a Singer 15-90 to use-plenty of them around to rescue.
I second what Monica said about the 15 - BUT get a 15-88! That is the treadle version of the 15. The 15-90 and 15-91 are both electric machines! I love my 15-88 for free motion quilting. That is the only machine I use for free motion! You could also get a 15 clone! There are lots of gorgeous 15 clones around that are also great for FMQting - that is if you want an electric machine!

Nancy