View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I wish I remembered more of the quilting bee. I think most of the time someone took ALL the kids in a different room and we played games - came out only for treats or out house visits. I'm thinking we played Spin the Bottle, Mother May I, I Spy With My Little Eye, Pass The Thimble, I'm Going On a Journey and other parlor type games with a couple teenage girls in charge. If it was nice we went outside. It mostly wasn't nice. Nice weather was for other stuff. I can also remember the old men sat in the kitchen and told stories. We didn't have much tv back then - just didn't get reception until cable... people had to gather somewhere. It was more than tying off a few quilts. It was during the day. I bet the trip to town also meant a trip to the store. We lived in town so it was no big deal to go to the store. Our town had a general store, a small grocery, and a corner store with a gas station, a post office and a co-op until it burned down, 3 churches and the school - grades 1-8. I'm thinking there was a tire shop too. Dad walked to the post office every day. Sometimes I tagged along - had to walk very fast to keep up - I still walk fast. There was no mail delivery in town. Fabric came from the Sears catalog or involved a trip to the 'city' (bigger town) and was a rare occurrence and a whole lot of fun. When we got fabric it was run through a measuring meter, then there was a thing they punched to cut a nip in the fabric and the clerk would tear it across. My mom would always check it - she would hold the fabric out to the end of her arm with one hand and up to her nose with the other... That was a yard.