View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
becky191985

Hi, after getting bored of cross stitching I recently decided to make a quilt with NO IDEA of what I was doing. I don't know any of the correct terms-apologies in advance! I'm 24 so I don't know anyone who can help me (my Mother is into knitting which i just can't do!)

I'm hand sewing long strips of beautiful fabric (Amy Butler, Joel Dewberry, some satin and ginghams) onto er... padding (it's going to be a king size quilt), It will have vertical stripes of different widths and some ribbon going vertically too, I didn't want to do a traditional one with triangles of materials etc. I dread to think how it will turn out; my hems are terrible, it may be something only a mother can love. Colours are from right to left- royal blue satin, a Joel Dewberry green with blue flowers, green batiks then onto reds.

Problems include:

*The border and back of the quilt will be the same fabric, do i need to sew some kind of pattern onto the back so as the material doesn't just flop about & look baggy? I'm doing the border and back last.

*Does it matter if the hems are terrible? I'm hoping the cotton will be easier to get a straighter hem than the satin.

* Should i stitch a pattern over the front? I want it to look a bit puffy in sections!

I'm deliberately not using a sewing machine as I hate using them and I enjoy doing it by hand