View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Hi Becky,

first of all, let me commend you for asking questions and welcome you to the world of quilting. WOW, you are starting with a King-size.

Here is how "traditional" quilts are generally made (and I am NOT talking about traditional patterns). The nutshell version:

The quilter picks a pattern and fabric, cuts the fabric and sews the quilt top. Then, the pieces of backing fabric are sewn larger than the top. The batting is also cut larger than the top.

The backing and top are pressed and sandwiched with the batting between. The sandwich is basted and then the fabric sandwich is quilted and the binding is applied.

I am a "traditional" quilter, so that is what I do.

There is a method "quilt as you go" or "flip and sew" where the top, batting, and backing are sewn as one unit. I have never done that.

Then there are Crazy Quilts that use a variety of fabrics (traditional quilts use primarily 100% cotton) that are usually sewn to foundation fabric, but they ususally don't have batting.

It sounds from your description as if you are trying to combine those three methods.

Have you checked out the tutorial section on the QB? There are many beginner guidelines and tips.

Don't give up. If at first you don't succeed, try try again! :!: :!: