Thread: washing quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

when i am doing the last binding stitches i am thinking about who is getting this quilt-where it is going-
and i launder it exactly the way i believe it will be taken care of when its no longer with me-
if it is going to a young mother- who goes to the laundrymat with garbage bags full of laundry-well- that quilt is going into my washer-with detergent-a normal cycle- then into the dryer- if it can not take my abuse- it sure wont take hers-
if it is going to a charitable foundation (like linus quilts) i wash them in hot water-regular cycle- into the dryer=
hospital laundry's are pretty rough- it better stand up to it.
if it is a very special quilt- or one i believe needs special care- i tend to it as i think it should be-
and i ALWAYS include care instructions on the label-
if it should be vacuumed- and only spot cleaned- it will say so- if it needs cold water- it will say so...
but 99% of the quilts i make- regardless (yes even the silk and wool ones) i put in the washer- a regular cycle- and into the dryer...if it does not hold up it shouldn't go anywhere any way-and i need to be the one to find that out- not some recipient who will be crushed when it doesn't come out ok