View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Shemjo

Hello and welcome to the board from Missouri, in the center of the US. :lol:
You sound like my kinda gal! I NEVER do a test first, always go for the BIGGEST thing I can when learning something new! I'm not saying that is the best way to go, but how I have done everything! :? I think my first quilt was a king size also! :? But I did take a class. I am not sure that quilt is finished. Will have to look for it. :?

I think I know what you are trying to do. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you are going to have some problems because you are trying to combine satins and ribbons and cottons and they sew differently. I think you can do it if your expectations are that if you plan to wash it ever, the fabrics may shrink or deteriorate at different rates, or ravel and come apart. That said, go for it!
What kind of padding (we call it batting) are you using that you are sewing your strips to? Is it a solid piece more like a blanket thickness and texture? It sounds like you may be doing a sew and flip, and if so, just make sure it is sewn down firmly and won't pull away from the batting.
When you get to the hemming (we call it binding) to keep all 3 layers together, you have options. Check out the tutorials and see how regular binding is done, and also check out "birthing a quilt" which is good for tying quilts. It is good to decide how you are going to finish it before you get too far into the process as there are decisions you can make to help make it easier for you in the end.
But in quilting, "Anything is possible!" Really just depends on how determined you are and how much harder you want to work! Don't want to discourage you, we can help you however you want to go! I applaud you for wanting to make a quilt. You CAN do it! It is easier to do one step at a time, but helps if you know where you want to go! :thumbup: